Monday, 7 June 2010

It's the taking part that counts

I swam in the County Masters swimming competition yesterday (where all the adults in Hampshire race) . It was really good fun and is always quite friendly as well as being reasonably competitive.

I was worried that I wasn't gonna achieve to the high standard that I always set myself, and I thought I'd be gutted if I didn't swim well.

So beforehand I thought it through and decided I'd much rather go and enjoy it from the social aspect and not be so competitive. I knew I hadnt trained enough recently to have any chance at getting good times, and I also knew there's no way I'd get close to doing a personal best, because since I was ill I haven't done enough swimming to get back to proper fitness. There were lots of people in my age group of 18 - 24s and cos it's the youngest age group there are lots of peeps who are still very competitive rather than the older age groups where it's all alot more fun and relaxed!

Anyway, once I'd sorted everything out in my head, I was raring to go and have a good time with my team mates. It was fun to drive to the pool as a group of us and just joke around... and there were many laughs had during the day from all sorts of antics... i thought people grew up and matured as they got older, but deffo not!
I managed to join in the banter (and start alot of it!) and not feel shy or awkward even though everyone else there was quite a bit older than me. To be part of the team and feel like I was included was definitely a much bigger achievement for me than how well I swam :)

I got a bronze medal in the 25 frontcrawl which was cool, and came between 5th and 8th in the others which was pretty middling, so perfectly acceptable! Our relay team got disqualified tho cos we were a bit hopeless!!

Bling! (they don't even give you a ribbon, pah!)

Me being an ideeeotttt

It was great to see people in their 70s and 80s still competing. There was even a 92 year old who was determined to get a national record! I hope I'm still as fit as them when I'm that age.... all the more motivation not to destroy my body with an eating disorder.

Zat iz all for now
xxxx



1 comment:

Clemmy said...

woohoo, you little fishy you!
well done for just getting out there and doing it... and for your shiny medal! who cares if you didnt top your personal best... you did damn good considering! and they say "its the taking part that counts" right!?!

gotta say, im loving the idea of a bunch of old wrinklies swimming front crawl in a race... did any of the really old ones wear those head-to-toe bloomers style swimsuits like from back in ye olde days?!? that would;ve made my day :-p

xxxxx